If you are planning on applying for a scholarship while in Germany, you have to open a German bank account. Here are some of the things you can do with your bank account/bank card: Pay your rent, pay for your health insurance,withdraw money free of charge at any of your bank’s ATM machines, receive your scholarship payments. In order to open a bank account you will need: Your passport and the residence permit, letter of admission from DHBW Heilbronn, your address in Germany (registration certificate). The International Office will assist you in this matter during the Orientation week.