Make sure you have valid health insurance for your stay in Germany. Valid health insurance is a requirement to study in Germany! You have several options to prove it:

European Students

With some countries, such as members of the European Union and the European Economic Area, Germany has a social security agreement. If you are from one of these countries, you can be freed from health insurance fees in Germany if you present proof of public health insurance coverage from your home country. You must obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the relevant health authority in your home country, prior to coming to Heilbronn. Your insurance company will usually issue the EHIC free of charge.

After your arrival in  Germany you have to present the EHIC to a public health insurance company in Heilbronn. But make sure you clarify at home which documents besides the EHIC you will need to take with you! The German insurance company will then free you from paying insurance and will enable you to visit German doctors. The International Office will assist you  in this matter during the Orientation Week.

It is possible that your insurance will not cover all costs in Germany. Before you enter the country make sure you know exactly what services you are entitled to in Germany.

If you do not have health insurance at home, you still have to insure yourself in Germany - just like all other students.

Non-EU Students

International Non-EU students must purchase a German public health insurance upon arrival. Basic monthly coverage (including basic dental) for students (up to 30 years of age) cost around 80 Euro per month (standard price for all students and all health insurance companies. You will have the opportunity to buy it during the enrolment period. Non-EU students also have to purchase a travel insurance in their home country including emergency medical evacuation and repatriation. Please make sure  that the insurance will cover you during any travelling that you may do  in all of Europe. You have to send a scan of your travel insurance together with your application documents.

We also recommend the following for ALL students

Personal liability. Note: Personal liability insurance covers cases of liability for injury or damage to other persons or their property. You are covered whether the negligence was yours or that of a family member. It does not cover damages caused by your car (you need to take out a separate insurance for this), but it covers liability for damage caused,for example, when riding a bicycle or breaking a window.